Monday, May 20, 2013

pleasantly surprised

So, I really didn't like Vampire Weekend before this album, and I'm sure there are a lot of other people who feel that way. It's unfair, as I never gave their other two albums full distraction-free listens as I did this one (multiple times). Something about their "overly intelligent" lyrics and overall preppy sound kind of made me hate them, but it's probably just jealousy because they are a good band, as this album proves. There are a couple of songs on this album that I don't love - Diane Young exemplifies what I don't really love about the band, namely the way Ezra sings the opening of the song just rubs me the wrong way. Finger Back sounds a little more like their older stuff to me and it just doesn't do much for me. But for the songs I don't love, there are some really really good ones. Step, Worship You, Ya Hey - they are well written songs that seem a little more real than previous VW. I also think that Young Lion is a really weird, cool way to end the album.

This is a good record. It's not my favorite album and it never will be, nor is this band - I don't love Ezra's voice at times, the drum parts aren't that awesome, and there are some other reasons why VW is not my perfect band. But they made a pretty damn good album and I'll give them that.

  8.7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment